Saint John’s, city and capital of Antigua and Barbuda. It lies on the northwest coast of Antigua and is a resort community and the island’s main port (handling sugar, cotton, foodstuffs, machinery, and lumber). The port, in a sheltered harbour, accommodates ships drawing 35 feet (10.5 metres). V.C. Bird International Airport is 6 miles (10 km) northeast. Attractions include an Anglican cathedral, the Government House, a botanic station, and nearby Fort James and Goat Hill. Fort St. John’s was severely damaged by earthquakes (1690, 1843), a fire (1769), and a hurricane (1847). Area 2.9 square miles (7.5 square km). Pop. (2011 prelim.) 21,475.
The city is home to the Museum of Antigua and Barbuda, with exhibits on indigenous tribes and plantation life. St. John’s Cathedral, a 19th-century Anglican church, is on a hill near the 17th-century Government House. A monument to the nation’s founder, V.C. Bird, is next to the Public Market, which sells crafts and produce.